Wałbrzych, Rynek; Author Paweł Marynowski, Wikimedia Commons
Paweł Binkiewicz – 5. 11. 2020
Wałbrzych on it's way to the climate adaptation
In recent days, the competition "A city with a climate – green and blue infrastructure" organized by the National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management (NFEP&WM) concerning activities in the field of adaptation to climate change was resolved.
The winner in the category of cities over 100,000 residents was the city of Wałbrzych with it's project entitled "Green yards - pocket parks in the old districts of Wałbrzych". It includes the creation of four pocket parks in previously unused areas; the total cost of the project is almost PLN 2.9 million (NFEP&WM will finance PLN 1 million).
Green yards - pocket parks in the old districts of Wałbrzych
The project will be implemented in the Podgórze district. Within this project:
- a space of natural values with an area of above 9,3 thousand m2 in 4 locations in the downtown part of Wałbrzych will be creacted,
- the rainwater management system will be improved along with the elimination of soil sealing in order to prevent flooding and flooding,
- in all 4 locations there are planned rainwater retention systems such as: rain gardens in the form of retention basins, decorative green areas (trees, shrubs, perennial beds, flower meadows) and lawns,
- it is planned to retain about 23,7 thousand m3 of rainwater per year and use almost all on site,
- a space with an area of 7,5 thousand m2 having a recreational character (or at least friendly to residents) will be created,
- it is expected that the heat island effect will be reduced in the dense downtown areas in the city.
The city of Wałbrzych is one of the pilot cities involved in the LIFE Tree Check project.
More information at The National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management (NFEP&WM) website.
The National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management (NFEP&WM, pol. NFOSiGW) is the main institution supporting activities in the field of environmental protection in Poland.
Urban greenery LIFE Tree Check